Pages

Sunday, April 25, 2010

5K Love


I have recently discovered something about myself...I love to walk. Now this is quite a revelation! I have hated exercise for so long, that I was afraid to really get out there and try it. A few weeks ago I attended the A2A Marathon/Half Marathon/5K in Ardmore (http://www.a2amarathon.com/) and did the 5K with my sisters. I was scared to death I wouldn't be able to finish it. I mean I walk on the treadmill, but that is so boring I'm always ready to jump off. Well, I finished it and was thrilled! What a rush! I couldn't wait until my next one! The next three days however, I was so very sore! I scheduled my next 5K for May 8th and thought I would have plenty of time to get ready. Then last weekend I was in a local pizza place and noticed a sign for a 5K walk for MS and decided I wanted to do that as well. The problem was it was only a week away. I decided to do it anyway. I started walking in my neighborhood and walked about a mile...and the next day, I walked two. I then decided to throw it all in and walk the track around LaFortune Park (which is exactly the length of a 5K, 3.1 miles) on Thursday morning. I did that too with no problem (Woohoo!!)! The very best part, I haven't been sore all week. So when I woke up yesterday, I was ready for my second official 5K. The weather was perfect, the course was beautiful (lots of gorgeous homes and azaleas everywhere!). There were even several hills and I walked up them with no problem. I wasn't thinking, "When will this torture end???" like in the past, I just listened to my music and took in the scenery. I was actually a little disappointed when it was over. I grabbed my finishers medal at the end and couldn't help but smile. Yes, a new love had been born! I may never run a marathon (who am I kidding, I will NEVER run a marathon, haha!) or even run a 5K, although that is a goal, but walking is something I can and will do! Trust me, I never thought I would actually like exercise! If it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you! And I'm so glad you're blogging again! Yay!

    ReplyDelete